Not long ago, openly proclaiming a love for comic books and science fiction earned you a lonesome spot at the far lunch table. Luckily for us, the times have changed. Somehow, it seems being a geek is cool now.
Sound crazy? Take a look at current pop culture trends. From The Avengers to The Walking Dead, comic book adaptations are dominating the entertainment world. Video gaming has practically become a national pastime. Comic-Con is now a household name.
Rejoice! We’re officially living in the Geek Renaissance.
Thanks to this change in social norms, us nerds can openly celebrate our lifestyle without the looming threat of getting flogged in public. And there’s no better time to do this than Geek Pride Day, every year on May 25th.
To help you honor this glorious holiday, we’ve listed 20 activities that will bring a smile to the geek gods above this Saturday.
- Embark on a vintage console gameathon (bonus points if you use an Atari Jaguar).
- Train for Comic-Con: spend the entire day standing in a line wearing a 67 pound backpack.
- Prepare for the biter outbreak by test-shooting a crossbow at your local sporting goods store.
- Start a petition detailing why PepsiCo Inc. needs to sell Mountain Dew in IV bags.
- Visit an abandoned hospital and go ghost hunting with a replica proton pack.
- Scour your neighborhood for aluminum cans and scrap metal. Your Xbox One isn’t going to pay for itself.
- Honor Game of Thrones and design your own house flag.
- Add more neon lights to your PC than a Vegas billboard.
- Settle all disputes using Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock.
- Hold a LARP battle in an uncommon place (e.g., Aldi parking lot, public beach, business center, city hall, stranger’s back yard).
- Roll up your sleeves and build a full-scale TARDIS (it better be bigger on the inside!).
- Polish your sword collection.
- Utilize a 3D printer to make an action figure of yourself.
- Build a Boba Fett helmet out of Red Vines and M&Ms.
- Bake a batch of d20 cookies.
- Fashion a staff from a large tree branch (don’t forget to carve a wolf head into the top).
- Convert your old 5.25-inch floppy disks into an arsenal of throwing stars.
- Complain about the delayed release date of a game on a message board.
- Condescendingly provide IT support to your mom.
- Have a wizard battling a Tyrannosaurus Rex airbrushed onto the hood of your car.
How will you (or would you like to) spend Geek Pride Day?
Let us know in the comments below!