Who will be victorious in the Game of Thrones? At an exclusive, sold out event last night, author/creator George R R Martin revealed that a number of contenders will sit on the Iron Throne before the series is complete.
Of course, this might come as no surprise to readers who are caught up on the complex and thrilling novel series, but for fans of the TV show in particular, this news sent a ripple of oohs and aahs through the crowd that packed the lavish and historic TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, host and sponsor of the event. The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, along with HBO, gathered a selection of popular cast members for a special Q&A event to promote the upcoming season 3 premiere on Sunday, March 31st. Moderated by Rob “Mac” McEllhenney, co-creator and star of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the panel featured a lively conversation between author/co-executive producer George RR Martin, creator/executive producer David Benioff, creator/executive producer DB Weiss, Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), and Maisie Williams (Arya Stark).
While the night was short on season 3 revelations (other than the thrilling clip reel hinting at conflicts to come, unfortunately not included in the video below), the cast and creators made up for it with stories from the set and recollections of their first steps into the world of Westeros.
Game of Thrones fans (and the merely curious), don’t let the hour and a half length of this video, streamed live on March 19th from Emmys.com, intimidate you from sitting down and taking in the whole thing. While most Q&As of this type tend to peter out toward the end, believe it or not, this one only gets better as it goes along. If nothing else, watch it for Peter Dinklage’s story about a gift he got from a fan (dwarves, harmonicas, and immortality, oh my!) and executive producer/creator David Benioff’s tale about the time he drunkenly challenged Jason Mamoa to a feat of strength.
Among the things we learned (*NO SPOILERS*):
- Author George R R Martin will make an appearance in season 3, unlike his attempted appearance in the pilot, which ended up on the cutting room floor.
- Show creators and executive producers DB Weiss and David Benioff already know who ultimately ends up on the Iron Throne when it’s all over (George told them).
- When asked which other character they would love to play if given the chance, more than a few of them gave rather surprising answers (Sophie as Geoffrey?).
- When asked if she thinks Cersei really loves her brother Jamie as more than a sex partner, Lena Headey proposed a surprising take on her character: “I think she wants to BE him.”
- Game of Thrones was Maisie Williams’ (Arya Stark) first acting role ever and only her second audition.
- If you didn’t already know, Peter Dinklage is possibly one of the funniest men alive (proof is in the video below).
Fast forward to 9:48 for the start of the panel…
GALLERY – An Evening with Game of Thrones at the TCL Chinese Theater – March 19th, 2013.