You know that army Loki keeps going on about in the most recent trailers for the Avengers movie? Well, this new Avengers TV spot gives us our first close-up in-action glimpse at what these creatures look like. Director Joss Whedon already shot down the idea that the army is not made up of Skrull or Kree warriors (Marvel geeks will know what I'm talking about). And they certainly don't look like any typical Norse denizen (giants, trolls, dwarves, etc) that I've ever seen. So is this a totally new race that's been made up for the film? I think the fact that Joss hasn't come right out and said what they are is just as telling. Of course, with today's technology, I wouldn't be surprised if, in order to keep the secret, the producers decided to alter the army to look like something we wouldn't immediately recognize just for the trailers (also consider that most shots of them have been fleeting at best), revealing them only when the film arrives in theaters May 4th. But that's just the conspiracy theorist in my head talking out loud. It's very possible that it's just a bunch of never-before-seen creatures willing to do a god's bidding. However, this is what we think we know so far:
- They are flying in giant spaceships that shoot beam weapons (as seen in the footage with Iron Man).
- It’s possible that whatever is chasing Iron Man in the last full trailer could be a massive creature of some sort, rather than a ship. I honestly can’t be sure.
- They are bipedal, having two legs, two arms, two eyes, and a mouth.
- They appear to be mostly naked or covered in armor close to their skin type. They appear to be savage warrior-types, but they are obviously also civilized to some degree, because they wear gold headbands and fly technologically advanced “spaceships”.
- Considering that Loki was sent spinning through a dimensional vortex at the end of Thor, is it possible that he brought these guys back from the Negative Zone? Or is that something that falls under the eventual Fantastic Four movie reboot jurisdiction?
Oh, and how badass is that last shot with the Hulk? He could end up stealing the show. And he might even get a good movie franchise out of the deal if they can just figure out what to do with him on his own. Hey, there are 3 failed Punisher movies, why can’t they give the Hulk a third shot at stardom? I guess only the Avengers box office can decide that…