Benedict Cumberbatch has been on a roll within the geek world. Sherlock, Star Trek, The Fifth Estate and The Desolation of Smaug along with plenty of others are reason enough to become obsessed with the new golden boy of the geek world.
Cumberbatch has found his way, steadily climbing the Geek ladder of awesome. It started with his sassy portrayal of the modern day Sherlock Holmes and was cemented with the announcement of his portrayal of the necromancing dragon, Smaug in the upcoming film, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. The beauty of being a geek is that we get to revel in our interests, making Cumberbatch no different. Here are eight reasons why Benedict is our Geek of the Hour.
1.The Witticisms of Sherlock Holmes - There has been several incarnations of Britain’s most famed detective in recent years, all highlighting different attributes of Holmes. Cumberbatch’s take on the detective has a distinctive sass about him filling scenes with intelligent quips and an all out witty banter.
2. British Etiquette - Hailing from the British theater circuit, Benedict is a fairly new actor to the world of Hollywood. Despite his increasing number of projects and level of success, he remains humble about it all, making “thank you” a strong part of his vernacular.
3. Khan - It’s no secret that Star Trek fans are protective and very particular about the lore of their universe, so when it was announced that Benedict would be playing the mysterious villain, John Harrison (aka Khan), the public response was not overly positive. However, Cumberbatch proved himself a worthy villain in J.J. Abram’s Star Trek Into Darkness making him a fan favorite amongst geeks, even if the film itself wasn’t well received.
4. Channeling Smaug - Speaking of villainy, a good actor cares enough about his project enough to put in a substantial amount of work so that fan boys (and gals) have an incredible movie experience upon the films arrival. Case in point, Benedict’s scrappiness in the motion capture suit to channel Tolkien’s treasure hoarding dragon, Smaug.
5. He Know’s How Ridiculous His Name Is - “Cumberbatch - it sounds like a fart in a bath, doesn’t it? What a fluffy old name. I can never say it on a Monday morning. When I became an actor, Mum wasn’t keen on me keeping it.”
6. Fan Appreciation - Benedict has a pretty massive following behind him, and while some celebs remain completely inaccessible to their fan base, Benedict is consistently engaging with them. This clip of good o’l Cumby hugging some of his admiring lady-fans on the Graham Norton show is a reminder of what stand out gent he is.
7. Pop Cultural Obsession - Because of pop culture’s recent fascination with the geek world, Cumberbatch has found himself the center of endless memes and tumblr gifs. His name is now a verb (Cumberbatched), not to mention pop culture site Buzzfeed has jumped on the band wagon providing the web with a series of pics of Benedict Cumberbatch as Disney princes.
8. Geek Extraordinaire - Anyone who can do a perfect impersonation of Chewbacca deserves to be framed in the Geek’s Hall of Fame.
Those are our top eight reasons to love Benedict Cumberbatch, but surely we have not listed them all. So… what did we miss? Tell us why you love the beautiful Brit down in the comments below!