Marvel has revealed a new “game changer” for those looking to break into the comics industry, though it comes with an interesting list of restrictions. Marvel: Create Your Own offers new creators the platform to tell their own stories, with Marvel teaming up with TapTap Comics for the initiative. The announcement came along with a video that further explains the new platform:
Hey there, True Believers! Have you ever wanted to write your own Marvel comics? TapTap Comics is empowering fans around the world by offering up the great power (and great responsibility) of storytelling to worthy recipients—and that means you!
Get ready to join a fan-powered community where users can write, create, and share their own Marvel stories. It’s called Marvel: Create Your Own, and it’s going to be a game changer for fledgling comic creators looking to do their own thing.
If you’ve got the burning desire to build your own intricate universes, you’ll want to act fast. Creative pursuits wait for no one, and the sooner you have a platform, the sooner you can get to work! So put down the paper and pencil and stay in the know by signing up for the platform by clicking here!
You’ve got plenty of time to start thinking up ideas. Get ready to start putting something amazing together with the help of Marvel: Create Your Own, coming soon!
The program doesn’t look that different from old-school comic creator games that featured licensed characters like Spider-Man, but this has the added benefit of potentially being noticed by Marvel at some point in the future. Of course, the new platform isn’t without it’s own set of rules, as a closer look at the terms and conditions revealed:
Marvel: Create Your Own is limited to those 13 and older, and only in these four countries: the United States, Canada, Australia, and Singapore. Among the long list of prohibited subject matter for user-created Create Your Own content are:
- Content that could frighten or upset young children or the parents of young children
- Prescription drugs or over-the-counter medication, vitamins, and dietary supplements
- Sensationalism (killer bees, gossip, aliens, scandal, etc.)
- Politics (lobbyists, PAC sites, political campaigns, alternative lifestyle advocacies)
- Graphic violence (including certain types of game sites) unless approved by Tap Tap on a case-by-case basis
- Illegal activities or any materials that infringe or assist others to infringe upon any copyright, trademark, or any other intellectual property rights Other controversial topics (social issues, etc.)
- Guns (firearms, bullets, etc.)
Also, users of the Marvel: Create Your Own must accept a contract that the copyright to any material they create there be given to Tap Tap/Marvel.
Some interesting hoops to jump through with some definite restrictions, but the opportunity certainly exists for those looking to explore the new platform as a way to potentially produce comics – or at least give story ideas – to Marvel. So get your kid-friendly Disney-approved Punisher stories ready!
Keep it locked to GEEK as more details on Marvel: Create Your Own will be revealed in the near future.
Images: Marvel Comics, TapTap Comics