Welcome back to our weekly Marvel update, which brings together a few stories from the week you may have missed. Today we’ll look at variant covers for Black Panther, The Life of Captain Marvel, and Venom 30th anniversary covers! We’ll also celebrate an upcoming X-Wedding, and some of the powerful female artists along with Marvel for International Women’s Day!
Black Panther #1 Artgerm Variant!
This May, Marvel is celebrating the launch of BLACK PANTHER #1 by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Daniel Acuña with an Artgerm variant cover featuring Wakanda’s Shuri.
“Black Panther #1 is a creative challenge for me. My first few books were more philosophical, and while that still rings true here, this is a fast-paced, high-octane story,” said Coates. “And with Daniel Acuña’s art, I think people are really going to feel the energy and intensity here. I wanted people to feel like this is a really fresh storyline, and I think we succeeded in that. It’s meaty, it’s different, and it’s perfect for new readers just coming to the world of T’Challa and Black Panther.’’
Take a first look at the Artgerm variant cover for BLACK PANTHER #1 and get ready for an all-new story about the King of Wakanda!
Venom 30th Anniversary Variants Hit Stores in March!
In preparation for Venom’s 30th anniversary, get ready for 20 key moments showcasing the symbiote’s epic history. These anniversary covers will feature art by some of the industry’s top creators and rising stars, including Mark Bagley, Mike Perkins, Francesco Francavilla, Ron Lim, Inhyuk Lee and more!
- ALL-NEW WOLVERINE #33 by DUSTIN WEAVER
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #798 by TERRY and RACHEL DODSON
- AVENGERS #687 by JAMAL CAMPBELL
- BLACK PANTHER #172 by GREG HORN
- CAPTAIN AMERICA #700 by MARK BAGLEY
- DAREDEVIL #601 by RAMON PEREZ
- DOCTOR STRANGE #388 by CHRIS STEVENS
- INFINITY COUNTDOWN #2 by RON LIM
- INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #599 by AKCHO
- MARVEL 2-IN-ONE #5 by DAVE JOHNSON
- MIGHTY THOR #706 by MARK BAGLEY
- NEW MUTANTS #2 by BENGAL
- OLD MAN LOGAN #38 by GREG SMALLWOOD
- PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #303 by ROB LIEFELD
- THANOS #18 by MIKE PERKINS
- VENOM #164 by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
- WEAPON H #2 by MIKE MAYHEW
- X-MEN: BLUE #25 by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA
- X-MEN: GOLD #25 by TODD NAUCK
- X-MEN: RED #3 by INHYUK LEE
The first wave of VENOM VARIANT COVERS will hit comic shops on March 7th. Don’t miss your chance to collect all 20 variants, coming to comic shops this February!
Marvel Celebrated International Women’s Day With These Great Covers From Female Artists!
In celebration of International Women’s Day, Marvel is excited to show off 10 never-before-seen covers for upcoming issues of some of your favorite stories – brought to you by some of the brightest female artists in the industry!
Check out the attached covers and find them on these select titles at your local comic shop starting this April!
- Black Panther #1 by YASMINE PUTRI
- Doctor Aphra #21 by ASHLEY WITTER
- Hunt For Wolverine #1 by ELIZABETH TORQUE
- Life of Captain Marvel #1 by SANA TAKEDA
- Marvel Rising by GURIHIRU
- Marvel Rising by GURIHIRU
- Marvel Rising Connecting Cover by RIAN GONZALES
- Moon Knight #196 by BECKY CLOONAN
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #33 by ERICA HENDERSON
- Tales of Suspense #104 by YASMINE PUTRI
The Life of Captain Marvel #1 Quesada Variant!
This July, Margaret Stohl and Carlos Pacheco will come together to bring Carol Danvers a new story in THE LIFE OF CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 – and today, Marvel is excited reveal a new variant cover by our own Joe Quesada.
“Writing Life of Captain Marvel has already been an extraordinary experience, one of those rare times in a writer’s life when the fictional universe you inhabit seems more real than anything else,” said Margaret Stohl. “I’m so grateful to Sana Amanat and Joe Quesada for helping shape it; they are both just huge blazing talents in the writers room. It’s a deeply personal origin story, a family story, an emotional story — somehow both very big, and very small — and the way Carlos draws it has changed the way I think about comics. He breathes as much life into her as any words ever could, probably more. Life and all the things that means to Carol at the moment — regret and resolve and hope.”
“I always knew Joe was an incredible artistic talent, but Life has shown me a new side of him as a creator,” added Stohl. “We truly have joint custody over Carol’s origin story here, and I am so grateful to share her and this journey with him. He has taught me so much about visual storytelling, and heart.”
The “X-Wedding of the Century” is Almost Here!
This April, the most exciting X-MEN GOLD arc yet (issues #26-30) launches with ‘Til Death Do Us Part, culminating in the wedding of Kitty Pryde and Colossus! It’s an event that you won’t want to miss – and neither will any of Marvel’s merry mutants.
For the first time, check out the reveal of Kitty and Peter’s dazzling wedding photo, courtesy of J. Scott Campbell, as well as your first look at the uncanny wedding party for X-MEN GOLD #30 by Phil Noto – the oversized wedding issue where Kitty and Peter finally say “I do!”
It all starts with X-MEN GOLD #26, arriving this April at your local comic shops.
That’s it for this week’s update, we hope you had a great International Women’s Day!
Images: Marvel Comics