Turning on a video game console for the first time is an unrivaled experience. Your television screen transformed from a boring black visual display to a wondrous start up animation that welcomed you to a new world of gaming.
Turning on a video game console for the first time is an unrivaled experience. Your television screen transforms from a boring black visual display to a wondrous start up animation that welcomes you to a new world of gaming. Most good childhood gaming memories involved some wondrous connection to video games and the systems they represented. With this collection of videos, we’re hoping to revive that first time feeling of hitting the power switch on a video game console.
6. Microsoft XboxMicrosoft’s first entry into the race for video game console supremacy was the original Xbox. The system itself was ginormous and easy to gawk at when you spotted it in the front window of a game store. If you were lucky enough to get your hands on one, then you should remember the awesome intro sequence that booted up your console. A green piece of alien-esque technology formed in the center of a dimly lit room, then it transitioned into the console’s logo. Welcome to the future! Watching this in the dark made this intro even more awe inspiring to watch.
5. SNK Neo-GeoAny gamer worth their salt should know the SNK Neo-Geo start up sequence theme by heart. For everyone who entered an arcade in the golden age of the 90′s, SNK cabinets with multiple games should make your nostalgic heart flutter. Sure we still don’t have a clue what “Max 330 Mega, Pro-Gear Spec” means, but that little mystery doesn’t take away from the greatness of this company wide intro. The first vid is the generic start up sequence, while the second vid gives you some of the different audio remixes that were used for several SNK titles.
4. Sega DreamcastThis intro may just be most relaxing, most soothing start up we’ve ever seen and heard. The Dreamcast is one of the most underrated video game consoles, which also gives it the title of having the most unsung video game console start up animation. That little orange dot bopped along the screen and gave birth to all the letters for the word “Dreamcast.” Then that little cute ball circled round and round until it morphed into the console’s spiral logo. This occurred all while some therapeutic music played in the background. We’d have an easier time relaxing on the beaches of Hawaii while this song played in our ears repeatedly.
3. Nintendo GamecubeThe Nintendo Gamecube falls next to the Sega Dreamcast as being an underrated console that deserved more love. Nintendo’s first party games, plus the multitude of third party releases (The Capcom Five were all worthy games!) made the system worthwhile. A lot of the fun we had with the big N’s lunchbox console came from the start up sequence. It was fun enough when the original intro hit our TV screens. Then things got a bit more varied if you held down on the controller’s buttons for cooler results. Hold the A button and you’ll get quite a nice surprise, too. Nintendo is known for their awesome easter eggs and they made quite a few for this console’s boot up screen.
2. Sega Genesis
Ah, good ol’ early to mid 90′s gaming goodness right here! What makes the Sega Genesis’ console intros so unforgettable were how so many of their games had their own intros. No one can forget the “SAYGUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” jingle that popped up during the Sonic The Hedgehog games. We sure get a kick out of Aladdin’s hilarious intro, too. There seems to be a gazillion different start up movies for the majority of Genesis’ video games library. Someone took the awesome liberty of compiling some of the best ones for the two videos above. Check ‘em out!
1. Sony PlayStation“Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooa…” That word was heard round the world from anyone who powered on a Sony PlayStation for the first time. That booming intro audio could wake up an entire neighborhood if your speakers could handle it. Things calmed down quite nicely as soon as the famous PS logo graced gamer’s television monitors. This one runs a bit longer than the other intro’s on this list, but that’s not a bad thing. The longer run time was well deserved because Sony was ready to take over the gaming world. This intro pretty much laid out their ultimate plan – “We’re here to knock your faces off!” We shall forever remember this intro as the best video game console start up… ever.
Did we miss any? Let us know your favorites and why in the comments below!